Duduzane Zuma: Bail on Gupta charges, question mark over Thursday’s culp court appearance

Former President Jacob Zuma’s son Duduzane has been released on R100 000 bail after being charged with corruption or alternatively conspiracy to commit corruption relating to an alleged R600 million bribe offered to former deputy finance minister Mcebisi Jonas in 2015 by Ajay Gupta in the presence of Duduzane.

The case was postponed to 24 January 2019.

Duduzane, who was briefly detained by police on his arrival in SA to attend his brother’s funeral, agreed earlier to surrender himself this week to face charges over his alleged involvement in the Gupta state capture plot and attempts to control the National Treasury.

He arrived at the Specialised Commercial Crimes Court in Johannesburg today in shackles.

Conditions for his release on bail included handing over all his passports. He must also report at the Rosebank Police Station once a week and ask for permission if he wanted to travel.

Jacob Zuma advised against attending funeral

Former president Zuma had reportedly been concerned about the possibility of his son being arrested or charged if he returned to South Africa and advised him against attending his brother Vusi’s funeral which took place on Saturday, 7 July.

Court appearance on two culpable homicide charges

On Thursday, 12 July 2018 Duduzane is due at the Randburg Magistrate’s Court to face two charges of culpable homicide linked to a 2014 incident in which two women allegedly died as a result of his Porsche colliding with a minibus taxi.

Former prosecutor Gerrie Nel said earlier that he “really hopes” that Duduzane will appear in court. He said that he is “absolutely elated” that the families of the two car crash victims “will finally get justice”.

Nel‚ who is in charge of AfriForum’s private prosecutions unit‚ announced in 2017 that the lobby group would apply to privately prosecute Duduzane over the death of the two women as the state elected in August 2015 not to prosecute him.

Duduzane’s lawyer reportedly confirmed that he had received the summons‚ but said he was not in a position to comment on whether he would appear in court.

 

  AUTHOR
Caxton Central

Latest News

COMMENTS

Top

Thanks for your referral. We have no doubt your friends will love our newsletter as much as you!

Don't forget to verify your email.

to our FREE newsletter
SUBSCRIBE to our FREE newsletter.




SELECT your titles:

Highvelder
RidgeTimes
Standerton Advertiser


Get regular news updates sent directly to your inbox.

Your source of local breaking news and trending stories from across the country.

Be a part of our growing community

1MILFacebook Fans
98KTwitter Followers
5MILMonthly Readers
12MILArticles Published Every Month
72Local Community Websites

SUBSCRIBE to our FREE newsletter

SELECT your titles:

Highvelder
RidgeTimes
Standerton Advertiser

Get regular news updates sent directly to you inbox.

Your source of local breaking news and trending stories from across the country.

Be a part of our growing community

Subscribe Here
1MILFacebook Fans
98KTwitter Followers
5MILMonthly Readers
12MILArticles Published Every Month
72Local Community Websites
Your details:


Your friends: